Monday, May 07, 2012

The Woods - Development Art

Hey guys, here are some designs and concept art from the show I was developing. There is so much more than what is here, but this should wet yer tongue a bit.

The show is about this kid named Boyo, who is lost in the Woods. He doesn't know how he got there, he can't get out, and he's mostly accepted this. Boyo befriends a talking Bush with legs named Cuts. Together, they are continually stuck between wars that are going on between different tribes within the Woods. These tribes are the REPS (Strange foofy lizard-creatures whom live in fancy underground tunnels), the WOODSIES (Pretty much any plant, tree, and blade of grass in the Woods) and the BUGS (The bugs are... well, bugs). While these tribes have quarreled on and off for ages, they all share a common enemy... The beyond-psychotic Woodsman. The Woodsman is the same character from my film "I Live in the Woods".

Here's the image I used for the cover of my pitch bible. This is with an earlier design of Boyo.



Here are some drawings of Cuts & Boyo



Here's a Bug puppet I made, but didn't include in the animation test. You can see here how a cartoon drawing can translate into puppet form.


Some other Bugs. These are mostly just random side-characters.


This is Queen Pit, the old-lady lizard-leader of all the REPS.

Here's more REPS.


Here are some of the WOODSIE tribe members.



These are some "rough" color and environment concepts by my very talented friend Romney Caswell.




Well, I hope you enjoyed having a gander at this stuff!

Oh yeah, and don't steel my ideas, or all your friends will leave you. And your pets (If you don't have friends). Thanks!

14 comments:

philip vose said...

maaax...what a nice concept man. freak'n beautiful designs, puppets, humor...it's got it all baby. some sweet designs on roms part too!! good luck with it. i hope the suit wearing people don't have their heads too far up their asses to see the grand potential of this show. keep rock'n it...

Marie Callum said...

I'd watch this religiously if it got made! Brilliant, man!

Jeremy Bernstein said...

Great Job Max! I loved it! Hope you can pitch it around town and make a full pilot! Good Luck!

Justin James said...

That bug puppet is quite simply awesome!

Cheyenne said...

Amazing work!! love the characters and the look of it!

Webster Colcord said...

Good luck with the other networks! When I was asked to prove I'm not a robot to post this comment, the words the robot asked me to spell were "pectinga siduch".

Rachel Gitlevich said...

I'm completely in love! Great Job! And the concept art is wonderful! There needs to be more stop motion on TV.

kathryn durst said...

Fucking amazing work!

Rose said...

This is amazing! I'd love to know more about how you made your puppets

bhashkar_euvatrefund said...

thats brilliant! thanks for sharing...

10SECFEST said...

Hello MAX, I'm Juan Ha at 10 Seconds International Animation Festival. I would like to screen your awesome film 'I live in the wood' at our festival.
I tried to contact you by email, there are some problems.
Please let me know your email address or email to me : 10secfest@gmail.com

Rob Chandler said...

Man this looks absolutely great

Mad Max Winston said...

And here I am more than month later to say... Thanks, everyone!

Patrick Sean Gibson said...

Yaaaay! This is all so cool. Very inspiring, Mr. Max!